Crane Safety—Overhead and Gantry (1-2 hours of training)
This comprehensive interactive multimedia-training program consists of one lesson that provides training on the technical specifications, inspection procedures and load handling for overhead and gantry cranes.
Audience: This program is mandatory training for all designated employees involved in operation or maintenance of overhead and/or gantry.
Prerequisites: This lesson is designed so that no prior knowledge is required.
- Describe overhead and gantry cranes and the safety hazards related to them
- Explain crane cab safety requirements
- Describe cab access requirements
- Describe the functions of bumpers and stops
- Explain the functions of guards
- Describe hoisting equipment
- Explain the braking devices required for overhead and gantry cranes
- Describe controller specifications for cab operated cranes
- Describe controller specifications for floor operated cranes
- Explain how power to runway conductors is controlled
- Describe frequent and periodic inspections
- Explain periodic inspections
- Explain rope inspections
- Describe testing of new or modified cranes
- Describe specifications for rated loads
- Describe safety considerations when attaching a load
- Describe safety considerations during movement of the load