This comprehensive Activ® interactive multimedia training program consists of two individual lessons that train participants to disassemble, inspect, and repair gate, globe, and control valves.
Audience: This program is excellent both for the training of maintenance personnel and equipment operators as well as for the multi-craft training needs of process and manufacturing facilities.
Prerequisites: This lesson is designed for participants familiar with the operation of gate valves and the proper use of hand tools and precision measuring instruments.
Description: This lesson addresses the procedures for disassembly, inspection, and reassembly of a typical gate valve. The lesson covers the locations and functions of valve components. Procedures for disassembling, inspecting, and measuring valve parts and procedures for lapping the disc and checking seat contact are also covered.
- Identify the parts of a gate valve and describe their functions
- Inspect a valve and make adjustments to stop leakage
- Position rising stem and non-rising stem valves to the half-open position
- Remove and disassemble the bonnet assembly of a gate valve
- Use a telescoping gauge to determine if a stuffing box is round
- Perform a runout to determine if a stem is bent
- Use an outside micrometer to determine if the stem has excessive wear
- Lap a disc and perform a contact check of disc mating surfaces
- Reassemble the bonnet assembly of a gate valve
- Perform a contact check to determine if there is a proper seal between the seat and disc of a gate valve
Prerequisites: This lesson is designed for participants familiar with the basic operation of globe and control valves and the proper use of hand tools and precision measuring instruments.
Description: This lesson provides guidelines for repairing globe and control valves including procedures for disassembling, inspecting, and reassembling both globe and control valves.
- Identify the basic components of a typical globe valve
- Disassemble and inspect a globe valve for damage
- Describe what lapping is and explain when it is used
- Complete a dye check
- Reassemble a globe valve
- Identify the basic components of a typical control valve
- Disassemble and inspect a control valve for damage
- And reassemble a control valve.