Developing Logical Thinking (Troubleshooting)
These lessons teach strategic troubleshooting skills that can be applied to the analysis of problems in any type of industrial system. The lessons teach participants how to develop logical thinking and create a personal troubleshooting outlook that will prove valuable under any troubleshooting situation.
- 1. Introduction to Troubleshooting
- 2. Information Gathering
- 3. Troubleshooting
- 4. Improving Troubleshooting Skills
Description: This is the first lesson in the iKNOW™ Troubleshooting Skills: Developing Logical Thinking Library. This lesson defines root cause problem solving and troubleshooting. The lesson also describes the basic steps in a general troubleshooting procedure.
Root Cause Problem Solving
Definition of Troubleshooting
Developing a Logical Plan
- Define root cause problem solving
- Define troubleshooting
- Describe the basic steps involved in a general troubleshooting procedure
Description: This is the second lesson in the iKNOW™ Troubleshooting Skills: Developing Logical Thinking Library. This lesson presents the steps involved in interviewing and researching to obtain information about a malfunctioning system and the importance of investigating the normal operation and history of the system. The relationship between symptom and cause is also explained.
Prerequisites: Introduction to Troubleshooting
Investigate – Interview
Investigate – Inspect
Research – Technical Manuals
Research – Maintenance Records
- Describe how to obtain information about a malfunctioning system
- Explain the importance of comparing the symptoms of a problem to the characteristics for normal operation
- Describe sources of information concerning normal operations
- Describe sources of information concerning the background of a problem
- State the relationship between a symptom and a cause
Description: This is the third lesson in the iKNOW™ Troubleshooting Skills: Developing Logical Thinking Library. This lesson teaches participants to develop a troubleshooting plan to evaluate problems. The importance of schematics in troubleshooting, steps necessary to repair the problems, and prevention of future trouble is discussed.
Prerequisites: Information Gathering
Using Schematics to Troubleshoot
Documentation and Preventive Measures
- Describe how to develop a trouble-shooting plan
- Describe the importance of using schematics while troubleshooting
- Describe steps necessary to repair the problem
Description: This is the final lesson in the iKNOW™ Troubleshooting Skills: Developing Logical Thinking Library. This lesson uses the information taught in the previous lessons in the library to assist in improving the learner’s troubleshooting skills. The learner will be instructed in the steps needed to prevent future trouble, what is required when it is necessary to troubleshooting under pressure, and the importance of gaining troubleshooting experience.
Prerequisites: Information Gathering and Troubleshooting
Analyzing the Root Cause
Troubleshooting Under Pressure
Developing a Troubleshooting Outlook
- Describe steps that can be taken to prevent future trouble
- Explain the importance of a troubleshooting outlook
- Describe how to troubleshoot under pressure
- Describe the importance of experience in troubleshooting