Centrifugal Pump Repair
Course 1 – Principles and Troubleshooting
Prerequisites: This lesson is designed for participants familiar with the basic operation of centrifugal pumps. A familiarity with the relationship between flow rate and pressure is also required.
Description: This lesson introduces the components and operating principles of a typical centrifugal pump. Normal operating conditions for the pump are described and guidelines for troubleshooting excessive leakage, excessive temperature, and loss of capacity/loss of head are provided.
- Identify and describe the functions of a centrifugal pump in a system and its components
- Recognize causes and symptoms of excessive leakage, excessive temperature, and loss of capacity/loss of head
- Explain how pressure, flow rate, and temperature are affected by the system in which the pump operates
Course 2 – Disassembly, Inspection, and Reassembly
Prerequisites: This lesson is designed for participants familiar with the basic principles of operation for centrifugal pumps. A familiarity with troubleshooting procedures as well as the proper use of hand tools and precision measuring instruments is required. Additionally, a familiarity with mechanical seals is recommended.
Description: This lesson explains and demonstrates how to clean and disassemble bearing housings and how to dismount, inspect, and mount common types of bearings. The importance of cleanliness and following manufacturers’ instructions are stressed throughout each demonstrated procedure.
- Dismount anti-friction bearings using a bearing press and/or a bearing puller
- Inspect the bearing for signs of failure
- Clean the shaft and check for taper and out-of-round using the proper measuring instruments
- Clean the housing and check for damage
- Select the proper bearing for replacement, if necessary
- Properly orient a bearing prior to installation
- Mount a bearing using an induction heater and/or an arbor press
- Measure the bearing’s inner and outer clearances during installation
- Properly lubricate bearings per manufacturers’ recommendations