Hazardous Waste—Emergency Response Overview (1-2 hours of training)
This comprehensive interactive multimedia-training program consists of one lesson that trains participants to understand the risks associated with hazardous substances and how to recognize the presence of hazardous substances and notify the proper authorities in an emergency.
Audience: This program is mandatory awareness level training for all employees who may come into contact with hazardous waste.
Prerequisites: This lesson is designed so that no prior knowledge is required.
- Describe the characteristics of a chemical that define it as hazardous
- Describe the different ways hazardous chemicals can enter the body
- Describe the physical hazards associated with hazardous chemicals
- Describe the health hazards associated with hazardous chemicals
- Describe the difference between acute and chronic health effects
- Know how to identify a hazardous chemical by using a manufacturer’s label
- Know how to identify a hazardous chemical by using a secondary label
- Know how to look for signs and placards, on containers and around the work area, that identify hazardous chemicals
- Know how to interpret an MSDs for information regarding a hazardous chemical release
- Describe how to use audio and visual methods to detect the release of hazardous chemicals
- Describe how to use olfactory methods to detect the release of hazardous chemicals
- Describe how to use health effects to detect the release of hazardous chemicals
- Describe how alarms and monitor systems are used to detect the release of hazardous chemicals
- Know the various sections of an emergency response plan
- Know the responsibilities of a first responder at the aware-ness level
- Know how to assess a contaminated area for additional needs
- Describe possible initial containment responses
- Describe possible site security measures
- Describe some of the possible first aid measures that may be needed following a release of a hazardous substance
- Know the potential outcomes and follow-up procedures of emergencies that involve hazardous chemicals