This library consists of 3 interactive, on-line lessons. These lessons were designed for the training of electricians as well as for the multi-craft training needs of process and manufacturing facilities. It trains participants on identifying and applying the basic materials of a conduit system.
Description: This is the first lesson in the iKNOW™ Conduit Installation Library. This lesson introduces the learner to conduit systems and components, and instructs in the use of trade size and fill charts.
Introduction to Conduit Systems
Trade Size and Fill Charts
Boxes, Fittings, and Specialized Pieces
- Define conduit and types
- Explain how conduit trade size is measured
- Read and use a conduit fill chart
- Determine the uses for types of conduit
- Identify boxes and their purpose
- Explain how boxes are sized
- Identify fittings and their uses
- Explain the purpose of Ells and T-conduits
Description: This is the second lesson in the iKNOW™ Conduit Installation Library. This lesson instructs the learner in the proper methods of cutting, cleaning, and bending conduit. The lesson also demonstrates how to make various bends and when different bends are used.
Prerequisites: Knowledge of conduit system materials, trade size, and use of fill charts is recommended.
Cutting, Cleaning, and Threading
90 Degree Bends
Three and Four Bend Saddle
- Explain the methods for cutting conduit
- Explain the methods and reasons for cleaning conduit
- Explain the methods for threading conduit
- Identify benders and their uses
- Define the common markings of a hand bender
- Measure for and make a 90° bend
- Identify an offset bend and its uses
- Make an offset bend using an offset chart
- Identify a saddle bend and its uses
- Make and use a three and four bend saddle
Description: This final lesson in the iKNOW™ Conduit Installation Library explains the procedure used to plan, measure, and install a conduit system.
Prerequisites: Knowledge of conduit system materials and conduit bending is recommended.
Planning the Conduit Layout
- Plan a layout of a conduit installation
- Measure for a conduit installation
- Explain the methods for installing conduit
- Support a conduit system
- Explain the methods for installing conductors